12/18/13

From Scratch Empanadas

 For spanish class I did a presentation on Empanadas.


Empanadas are simply a bread pocket with filling.



 I used Apple Cinnamon Empanadas recipe from About.com as my guide.  Along the way I replaced some of the flour with wheat flour and I skipped the corn starch all together, my apple filling gelled fine without it.

They turned out the perfect 3 bite snack.  My classmates hardly listened to my presentation, and my professor gave me a 100% and remarked that I had not referenced my notes.  

Had he not been blinded by the Empanadas he would've noticed I had my iPad propped against his computer and constantly referenced my notes.  Thankfully he was distracted by food :)

I used a biscuit cutter to make the circles.  IT is important to have some sort of round cutter, as it makes it easier to shape them in the end.


Recipe:
Dough - note I used a wine bottle because I don't have a roller, maaay have drank some of the wine along the way.
  • Pastry:
  • 1 cup butter, chilled 2 sticks 
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, chilled
  • 2 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla


Filling:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4-5 firm green apples (like Granny Smith)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • Pinch of salt (to taste)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Sugar for sprinkling

Mix the dry ingredients - then cube cut the butter and add it mix with food processor - turn it out onto plastic make into disks then fridge.
chill for a bit while you make the filling.

heat filling until just soft

 chill.

Drink some wine.

Drink another glass.

Get dough out, roll it out with wine bottle.

Add small teaspoon of filling, wipe some of the filling juice around the edge so it will seal, use a fork or fancy roller to close.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

This says best served right away.  I found they were MUCH better after being in the fridge overnight.

But I did wake up that morning and bake them after they'd been in the fridge overnight, and served them still warm to my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Pinterest and I have been great partners the last few weeks. Oh my GOD this was delicious~ my 8 year old said "I am mad this is so...