5/4/14

Sweet Potato Gnocchi

Sweet Potato Gnocchi 


So I got a wild hair and decided to make homemade Gnocchi.I followed the recipe I found here: http://www.vanillagarlic.com/2009/10/scratch-another-new-years-resolution.html 
BUT I changed the recipe a bit.  I omitted the russet potatoes completely, along with the maple syrup.  Really I was looking for a basic recipe, and had a difficult time finding one.

 His basic recipe is grand and I really followed it
Roll it out, chop into uniform pieces and boil for a few minutes                                                    (over boiling will result in TOUGH Gnocchi.  I promise. It's not good. Really.)
My modified version:

To be completely honest, I microwaved the sweet potatoes (about 4 minutes for the first, add 1 minute for each extra potato) Check for doneness when you take them out.

Mash the hell out of the potatoes. (after you remove the skin) 

Then add all of the other ingredients to the bowl.

Knead the dough until ingredients are mixed. (don't go crazy)

Flour your counter (or "surface") take a hunk of dough roll it into a snake shape (as pictured above) I placed my cut Gnocchi on a cookie sheet as I cut them.  For no reason, quite frankly.


2 pounds of unpeeled sweet potatoes
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 egg
1/4 cup cottage cheese

1 teaspoon of kosher salt


Boil water, add gnocchi, when it rises to the top, turn off the stove, and grab a utensil to extract from the water.
If you boil these too long, man, they are tough!  

We topped them with Parmesan Cheese, and sauce for the boys, I added Shredded chicken, cilantro, and just a bit of sauce for me.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 Pinterest and I have been great partners the last few weeks. Oh my GOD this was delicious~ my 8 year old said "I am mad this is so...